SOUND - Key Questions
- How is sound produced?
- What kind of waves are sound waves?
- What is the relationship between frequency and pitch?
- Explain the differences between reflection and diffraction.
- What is the relationship between period (T) and frequency (f)?
- What is the relationship between the speed of sound (v), frequency (f) and wavelength (l)?
SOUND - Key Vocabulary
- longitudinal sound wave
- frequency (Hertz)
- audible range
- ultrasounds & infrasounds
SOUND - Beat Frequency of Soundwaves
Use the following demonstration by Wolfram to see how changing the frequency affects the sound you will hear.
- Set the upper view to narrow so you can clearly see the sine wave.
- You can move the zoomed view slider to zoom into the different parts of the sine wave.
- Change the mean frequency to alter the frequency of the sine wave.
- At this stage we have not yet learned about beats, so set the difference in frequencies to 0 Hz.
- Click play tones to hear the sound.